Wednesday, August 25, 2010

First Three Days in HKU alone

Monday, I was alone now in HK. My sister accompanied me back to my hall early in the morning. We met with an Indian-Dhannika who live next next door to me, who is also a Malaysian !! So happy. Then, I went to look for a professor in department of chemistry, Dr Chan to seek his approval for my selected course. He was so nice and helped me lot. Unfortunately, I still not managed to finish my course selection and finalise it before the deadline at 4pm. Nevermind, just wait till the +/drop period. Haiz.. I got most of my courses TN, means not approved to take cuz pre-requisite not met. In the afternoon, met with students from the same peer group with me. Erica, from BeiJing is our SII. While I got to know 3 others, 2 from Mainland China - Gao Wen Yu and Zhao Ya Ni, and one local boy - Tony Chan. Erica stays in the same hall as me, while two others staying in Simon and Swire hall. I also attended a Health Orientation Talk in English session and got to know more about the University's Health Services. I also met and chat along with a Korean girl call Grace. I got myself vaccinated against 'Diphtheria" and Tetanus. Then, I moved on for a free dental check, plus free gits including a big bottle of listerine, toothpaste and toothbrush. Then, I took bus to Hung Hum, then to Tou Gua Wan, just to collect some lost-and-found items and my camera charger which I left in the hotel. It was raining and I got down from the bus at a wrong place, it took me half an hour to walk to my destination and my umbrella was spoiled due to the strong wind ! When I am back in my room, I entered the pantry and saw Sally, who is my Floor's assistant Floor leader. She introduced the floor's facilities to me and rules, also telling me to reserve my nights from Sept 1 onwards for 2 weeks for our floor orientation.

Though I realise my room-mate had already check-in, yet I did not met with her until this morning. Early morning, she got up to go for her O' camp, a really harsh camp then last from 6-2am. We din't get to chat much but I know that she, Isabella also enjoy TVBs drama, that is good enough. Tuesday, I walked around in Bonham Road, went into supermarket and convenient store to buy some snacks and washing detergent. I took away a set of "PHD" spaghetti with soup, costed me only HKD 25, and ate it in my pantry. A group of student from O'camp entered and introduce themselves nicely to me. They were shocked and feel weird because I mentioned that I don;t feel really cold in the "freezing" pantry room. Especially after knowing that I am from Malaysia. Met with the group's mummy-Joyce and daddy-Alan. Also there is an auntie and one girl who live in the same floor as me. Had maggie mee as my dinner.

Wednesday, I attended the Inauguration Ceremony held at HKU's oldest building -Loke Yew Hall. Although reaching half an hour earlier, there is already long queue to enter. Many mainlanders I found, very few are locals. Wearing a formal pant suit with the stupid court shoe, standing and waiting under the hot weather, I really hate it. Saw Professor Chye in the procession with Vice-Chancellor of HKU, Prof. Lap Chee Tsui. I also worn the green robe for the first time in my life - officially marks the identity of me as HKU undergraduate. At night, I just had dinner in Ho Tim Hall, just next to my hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment